In addition, the RSAT tools allow you to manage:
- Installed server roles and features
- File Services
- Additional Powershell Functionality
RSAT can only be installed on Windows Pro and Enterprise editions, it is not supported on the home or standard editions.
In this tutorial, I will walk through the steps to installRSAT on a Windows 10 computer.
Step 1: Download the RSAT install package
1st step is to download the RSAT install package.
You can download the install here:
RECOMMENDED: SOLARWIND ADMIN BUNDLE (FREE TOOL)
This is a bundle of 3 FREE Tools for Active Directory.
- Bulk import users tool
- Inactive Computer Account Removal Tool
- Inactive User Account Removal Tool
Simplify administration and keep Active Directory secure with this trio of FREE tools.
Step 2: Run the RSAT installer
1. Double click the install file to run the installer
2. Select “Yes” to install the standalone update.
3. Select “I accept” on the license terms
4. Click on restart now
Once the computer reboots the RSAT tools should be installed. At one point you had to go into Programs and Features and add the additional feature but it looks like that is now done automatically. You can verify the features have been added with step 3.
Step 3: Verify RSAT install
1. In the search box type “Programs and Features” Select “Turn Windows features on or off”
2. In the Windows Features box, scroll down and find “Remote Server Administration Tools. Expand the box “Role Administration Tools”. You should now see all the tools for AD, DHCP, DNS and so on.
3. Now I can start using the RSAT tools, I searched for Active Directory and I can see the tools I need to remotely manage Active Directory.
I hope you found this tutorial useful.
If you run into install issues let me know, I’ll be glad to help.
Recommended Tool: SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM)
This utility was designed to Monitor Active Directory and other critical applications. It will quickly spot domain controller issues, prevent replication failures, track failed logon attempts and much more.
What I like best about SAM is it’s easy to use dashboard and alerting features. It also has the ability to monitor virtual machines and storage.